Strathendrick Curling Club

Home > History

A Brief History of Strathendrick Curling Club

The celebration cake for our 150th anniversary 10KB
The celebration cake for our 150th anniversary

The Club was founded 10 December 1846, probably to take advantage of an exceptionally cold period of weather. It was admitted to the Royal Caledonian Curling Club in July 1847 and has been active in RCCC events ever since, including various Grand Matches. The Club has been a member of the Forth and Endrick Province for many years and plays in its various leagues and competitions.

The club celebrated its sesquicentenary in 1996 with a Dinner, a bonspiel against 4 other clubs founded in 1846 and the publication of a book giving the history of the club.

Photograph of members clearing Drumore Pond 20KB
Club members work to clear Drumore Pond in 2001

In the early days, the curling was at the Drumore Pond on the Gartness Road in Killearn but from 1907, because of the unreliability of outside ice, most curling has been on indoor rinks. Initially this was at Crossmyloof in Glasgow, but from 1980 Stirling Ice Rink was used. From 1988 until 2005 the Club mainly used the Forest Hills timeshare complex on the shores of Loch Ard but, after this closed, the Club returned to playing full-time at Stirling. The Drumore Pond became derelict but was cleared in the autumn of 2001 in the hope that we would have some cold winters.

The weather was cold enough to allow curling in 2003 but remained too warm in subsequent years. However, in December 2009 a major clearing operation was carried out by the owners just before a cold spell of weather. This enabled curling in December and through to January 2010.

The minutes from old Annual General Meetings can be found by following this link: AGM Minutes